PG&E Provides Safety Tips to Help Households Stay Safe and Warm This Thanksgiving

SAN FRANCISCO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The number of residential fires on Thanksgiving is more than double the
average of all other days of the year combined, with 72 percent caused
by cooking. Pacific Gas and Electric Company (PG&E) reminds customers to
take a few extra precautions to stay safe.

1. Have a kitchen fire extinguisher handy, and never use water on
a grease fire.

2. Start with a clean oven and stovetop to reduce the risk
of a grease fire.

3. Clear the range from anything flammable, including dish
towels, pot holders, packaging and recipe cards.

4. Don’t leave an operating stovetop unattended, especially
if frying, grilling or broiling.

5. Supervise children in the kitchen and make sure nothing
is hanging from the stove that would tempt young hands.

6. Check the connections to all appliances.

Cooking is by far the leading cause of residential fires on
Thanksgiving—more cooking fires occur on this holiday than any other day
of the year. Another nine percent are caused by heating sources such as
fireplaces and space heaters. PG&E reminds customers never to heat your
home with an oven or stove. In addition to being fire hazards, they lack
the proper venting and could cause carbon monoxide to build up to
life-threatening levels.

As you prepare for company, add a few more tasks to your to-do list:

  • Make sure the flue is open on your fireplace just in case you decide
    to light the hearth. The ventilation keeps carbon monoxide from
    entering your home.
  • Create a household emergency plan and share it with house guests.
  • Install or check carbon monoxide detectors to warn when carbon
    monoxide concentration levels are high.

    • As of 2011, all California single-family homes are required to
      have carbon monoxide detectors.
    • Make sure all carbon monoxide detectors are installed near
      sleeping areas and common areas.
    • Replace the batteries at least twice a year.
    • Check expiration dates – most carbon monoxide detectors have a
      shelf life of five to seven years.

For more ways to stay safe this holiday season visit www.pge.com/safety.

PG&E wishes you a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

About PG&E

Pacific Gas and Electric Company, a subsidiary of PG&E
Corporation
(NYSE:PCG), is one of the largest combined natural gas
and electric energy companies in the United States. Based in San
Francisco, with more than 20,000 employees, the company delivers some of
the nation’s cleanest energy to nearly 16 million people in Northern and
Central California. For more information, visit www.pge.com/
and pge.com/news.

http://www.pgecurrents.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pacificgasandelectric
https://twitter.com/pge4me
http://www.linkedin.com/company/pacific-gas-and-electric-company
http://www.youtube.com/user/pgevideo

Contacts

Pacific Gas and Electric Company
Teresa Jimenez, 415-973-5930